Stamina is being able to do something for a long period of time without quitting. When you first learn a skill like long distance running, riding a bike, learning a musical instrument, reading a book or writing in a journal, stamina starts off very low. Here’s some advice for building writing stamina:
- Time yourself to find out how long you can write without getting tired or bored
- Time yourself to find out how long it takes you to write a page
- Set a goal based on the times, if you can write for 10 minutes and get bored try writing for 11 minutes everyday for a week, then add a minute the next week
- If you can write one page in three minutes try writing two pages in a minute next time
- Reward yourself for working hard and accomplishing a goal
- Don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t reach your goals, they may have been unrealistic and we all have hard days
- Don’t compare yourself to others, some have been practicing longer than you and it is okay.