Transitions are changes and you want them to happen as smoothly as possible. Transitions can happen in the following circumstances of a story:
- Setting to setting
- Character to character (dialogue)
- Inner dialogue to action of story
- One time to another time
- There are others…can you think of them?
There are many ways to use transitions:
- Punctuation like commas or ellipsis
- Words like, finally, suddenly, until
- Repetition of words or images
Make sure to help your reader follow your thinking, ideas must be connected. Ideas should not be random or jump around!