This editable unit has ten mini lessons and much more to provide the foundation your students need to be successful with both reading and writing workshop this year! Make sure to watch the video preview to take a look inside.
There are ten mini lessons on the following topics:
Mini Lesson #1: What is Workshop?
Compare reading and writing workshop to Fortnite Battle Royale and your students will be completely engrossed in your lesson!
Mini Lesson #2: Noise Levels
Teach students the four noise levels of your classroom-silent, whisper, talk, present and hold students accountable with a simple and easy to follow consequence system.
Mini Lesson #3: Writing Notebooks
In this lesson students will learn two main purposes for their notebooks-note taking and discovery writing (brainstorming, listing, drafting, goal setting).
Mini Lesson #4: Writing Stamina
Teach students about stamina and begin a routine that you will use all year to increase your students stamina!
Mini Lesson #5: Personalized Note Taking
Students will learn that copying down what the teacher says or shows on slides is not the best way to learn. They will receive models/samples of four note taking styles they can choose from to make their notes more personalized- the outline method, Cornell, sketch notes and the mind map method.
Mini Lesson #6: Mentor Texts
In this lesson students will learn two ways they can use mentor texts-to get inspiration when stuck and to get help with specific skills. There are editable slides with examples too!
Mini Lesson #7: Writing Partners
Students will learn how to get support from their peers with prompts, posters a checklist and video!
Mini Lesson #8: Conferences
In this lesson students will learn that conference with the teacher are really just short conversations and they always have a predictable structure.
Mini Lesson #9: Finding a Good Book
Students will learn simple ways to find books they’ll be excited to read!
Mini Lesson #10 Assessment
In this important mini lesson students will learn about 7 types of assessments (only two of which are graded based on skill by the teacher) and complete a self-reflection assessment about their behavior and productivity during this launch unit.
Each mini lesson is 1-2 pages and very easy to follow!
Here is how each mini lesson is organized:
- Objective-the goal for the mini lesson
- Materials- all the necessary charts/posters/videos/tools you need for the lesson
- Hook- a fun way to start the mini lesson
- Teaching Point- straightforward statement about what students will learn
- Modeling- showing skill with writing samples/mentor texts
- Practice-an opportunity for students to apply skills and practice with peers
- Conferring-tips for how to discuss work with students with one-on-one conversations
- Share-a way for students to share what they accomplished, struggles they faced and goals they have
Also Included in this Product:
- Teacher’s Guide
- Editable Google Slides
- Editable PowerPoint Slides
- Writing Charts
- Writing Samples
- Editable Assessment Tools (Google Doc and Microsoft Word)